Friday, February 17, 2012

I or Me?

I or Me

First thing first: A subject is the thing in the sentence that is doing something. I went to the store. I is the subject in that sentence. The dogs barked at the car. Dogs is the subject in that sentence.

An object has something done to it or with it. I gave the bone to the dog. Dog and bone are objects in that sentence. Will you go to the store with me? Me is an object in that sentence.

Although not entirely correct, a good way to remember is this: Subjects are usually at the beginning; objects are usually at the end. (No letters from experts here, please.)

I is a subject; me is an object.

The trouble people have with choosing I or me comes when combining it with another person.

Nobody says, "Me went to the store." Nobody says, "She gave I a present."

Only a toddler would do this, right? Well it's exactly what one does when he/she says, "John went to the game with Sally and I." The two objects must work individually to work alone. You wouldn't say, "John went with I." So why would you say, ..."with Sally and I."

The correct way is, "John went to the game with Sally and me."
Review: I is a subject....it does things.

Me is an object....it has things done to it, for it, or with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment