Friday, February 17, 2012

Myself

MYSELF

Myself is abused by those intending to sound formal and smart. Unfortunately, they are unaware that they accomplish the exact opposite.

Myself is a reflexive pronoun. It is only to be used if one has first used the pronoun I.

Examples: I know you like vanilla ice cream, but I myself like chocolate. OR I gave myself a present.

Do NOT use Myself as a subject! Example: John and Myself went to the game.

When you use two subjects together (compound subject), each must work alone before they can work together.

John went to the game...that works. Myself went to the game....that doesn't work. That's how you test it. I went to the game...that works. So the correct way to say it: John and I went to the game.

Same goes for Myself as an object (usually at the end of the sentence).

Incorrect: She went to the game with John and myself.

Again, if it doesn't work alone, it can't be paired with another person. She went to the game with John...that works. She went to the game with myself...that doesn't work. She went to the game with I....nope...still wrong. She went to the game with me....that works.

Correct: She went to the game with John and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment